Submission Text Full Submission Page

Intro

We all know what Donkey Kong is, it's an arcade game with an ape that throws barrels, with Jumpman (aka Mario) rescuing Pauline from the ape. This TAS is of probably the most simplistic version of Donkey Kong there is, the Coleco Tabletop version.

Goals

  • Beat the game as fast as possible
  • Make the run entertaining

Levels

  • First level (Rivets, but not Rivets)
    • The first level looks identical to the second one, but you try to rescue Pauline by climbing to the top and not disconnecting all of the rivets.
      • When I tried to see if there were any more optimized strats for this level, there was one where you climb the ladder on the right instead of on the left on the 2nd floor, climbing the one on the right though actually leads to a less optimized second level, which also leads to a less optimized run, even though it saves about 15-20 frames in the first level.
  • Second level (Actually Rivets)
    • The second level looks identical to the first (which is what I said before for the first level, but opposite), but you actually have to disconnect the rivets this time. For disconnecting the rivets optimally, you have to jump on the very first frame Jumpman touches and disconnects the rivet, it sometimes looks like it happens before he does, or right when he does.

Emulation

  • libTAS 1.4.7 + MAME 0.276 from the actual Debian repositories was used for this run.
    • The run itself was made on Debian 13

Other notes

Just like I said in the notes for the first level, the level is improvable by about 20 frames, but then it leads to a less optimized second level and run. I also tried to see if there were any improvements for the second level, and there weren't any. So, that's all I have to say. (Also, if the system is tagged "Linux", it's not mean't to be like that, I put "Platform: Tabletop" in the annotations of the movie.)


TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Moderator
Location: 127.0.0.1
Joined: 8/3/2004
Posts: 18106
Location: 127.0.0.1
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #10134: Stockiel's PC Donkey Kong in 00:47.900
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Expert player (3673)
Location: The land down under.
Joined: 10/12/2011
Posts: 6728
Location: The land down under.
Hello, unfortunately your framerate is wrong. It should be: 1073741820 / 17895696
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Strong for yourself and also others.
Player (206)
Location: Daten City
Joined: 11/11/2025
Posts: 42
Location: Daten City
Spikestuff wrote:
Hello, unfortunately your framerate is wrong. It should be: 1073741820 / 17895696
Well damn. Thanks for letting me know though, Spike. (I'm also gonna cancel this run because my framerate is wrong, so yea.)
Don't talk to me until I've had my god damn sugar. Amateur TASer toolassisted.run will always suck in comparison to TASVideos, TASVideos has been around since Y2K after all.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
Location: The dark corners of the TASVideos server
Joined: 10/1/2008
Posts: 3015
Location: The dark corners of the TASVideos server
om, nom, nom... 'twas dry
Player (157)
🇺🇸 United States
Joined: 5/5/2025
Posts: 271
Location: 🇺🇸 United States
The branch still needs to be updated to "Tabletop".
CoolKirby
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (710)
Joined: 11/8/2010
Posts: 4302
Hope it's quick to resync! Also, would the platform be Arcade, like the original Donkey Kong, instead of Tabletop? If it is, "Platform: Arcade" should be recognized by the site when you resubmit (but can be changed later, either way).
Player (206)
Location: Daten City
Joined: 11/11/2025
Posts: 42
Location: Daten City
CoolKirby wrote:
Hope it's quick to resync! Also, would the platform be Arcade, like the original Donkey Kong, instead of Tabletop? If it is, "Platform: Arcade" should be recognized by the site when you resubmit (but can be changed later, either way).
I wouldn't consider it an arcade game because it doesn't have a credit system.
Don't talk to me until I've had my god damn sugar. Amateur TASer toolassisted.run will always suck in comparison to TASVideos, TASVideos has been around since Y2K after all.
Location: Quebec Province
Joined: 1/9/2023
Posts: 49
Location: Quebec Province
They're similar to Game & Watch games. While we don't have any publications for that system, I'm assuming the system would be called "Game & Watch". It seems Coleco called that line "Coleco Tabletop Arcade" https://www.reddit.com/r/80s/comments/1ab86gd/coleco_tabletop_games_of_the_early_80s/#lightbox so I think that would probably be the system name.
Player (206)
Location: Daten City
Joined: 11/11/2025
Posts: 42
Location: Daten City
coolman wrote:
They're similar to Game & Watch games. While we don't have any publications for that system, I'm assuming the system would be called "Game & Watch". It seems Coleco called that line "Coleco Tabletop Arcade" https://www.reddit.com/r/80s/comments/1ab86gd/coleco_tabletop_games_of_the_early_80s/#lightbox so I think that would probably be the system name.
I guess you could say that, because they also do control similarly to Game & Watch games too tbh
Don't talk to me until I've had my god damn sugar. Amateur TASer toolassisted.run will always suck in comparison to TASVideos, TASVideos has been around since Y2K after all.