Submission Text Full Submission Page
This Fire 'N Ice (a.k.a. Solomon's Key 2) TAS saves ~136 seconds over the WR that existed at the time the TAS was finished, and ~52 seconds over the current WR, using the current WR speedrun routes, and including pausing to reach the fastest possible cycles, faster than possible in real time, in 11-5 and 14-10.
Emulator used: BizHawk v2.11

About Fire ‘N Ice

Fire ‘N Ice is a 2D NES puzzle game that has 101 levels in any%, which isn’t in this TAS, and 50 bonus levels that are part of this TAS. The base mechanics are walking, climbing onto one tile high walls (or climbing into pipes), falling, placing and removing ice, pushing ice, and pausing the game. There are also pipes that take you from one side of the pipe to the other. There are jars that get lit on fire when a fire falls on top of it, (with the fire not getting destroyed,) and lit jars melt ice that get pushed onto them or fall onto them, and kill Dana if he walks on them. There are stones that get pushed one tile at a time instead of sliding until running out of ground or hitting a wall like ice does, unless the stone is on top of ice, in which it slides until the ground is no longer ice, or it hits a wall. Stones also stay on top of fire jars without melting, and extinguish flames without melting like ice. The boss levels of Fire ‘N Ice (every level ending in 10 in any%, or every level ending in 5 or 10 for the bonus levels) are either scrolling levels, or moving enemy levels (with the one exception being D10-10, which isn’t in this TAS).

Timing and Comparing the TAS

What time is this TAS?

From power on, the time all TASes start at, this TAS is 38:20.245, and from the RTA start time, the first frame that 11-1 is fully visible, this is a 38:17.800 time. Either way, the end time is the same one listed on SRC’s bonus levels rules, being the frame that Dana’s win animation starts in 15–10. I'll use the RTA start time to compare to previous WRs, and the TAS start time in all other instances.
For the 150 Levels TAS, which is just adding the any% TAS time to the bonus levels TAS time, it’s 1:36:46.471 from power on, and 1:36:42.050 with RTA timing.

Comparing this TAS time to others

This TAS is 2:16.333 seconds faster than My WR at the time of finishing the TAS, and 51.550 faster than my current WR.
There have been no previous bonus levels TASes to compare this to.
I won’t go over the times of the IWs or ILs in this TAS, the improvements over the IW WRs and the IL WRs, or the improvements over the IWs and ILs of the full bonus levels WR, as this is shown in video and text form in the commentated TAS.

Other Bonus Levels TASes I made

The Bonus Levels Human Theory TAS won’t be covered here as the TAS I’m submitting is the regular TAS, not the HTTAS.
I made a commentated bonus levels TAS you can watch, that compares the TAS, HTTAS, my current WR, and my sum of bests, and gives commentary.

How I found the routes for this TAS

Non-Boss Levels

For every level that isn't a boss level that has a pausing route (11-5, 12-10, 13-5, 13-10, 14-10, and 15-10), I used the current bonus levels speedrun route. This was created from a combination of routes found that happened to be faster from the minimum climbs challenge run, which was worked on by me and link_7777, and regular discovery of faster speedrun routes for improving the bonus levels speedrun route, by SmartBall, link_7777, and me.
For example, I found a faster 15-3 route when trying to set the current WR, which made it so I had to update the TAS to v3 and HTTAS to v2 due to this happening after I finished the initial versions of the TASes.

Overview on Spawn Pausing + Gameplay Pausing

One speedrun strat that I brought into the TAS is gameplay pausing (and spawn pausing). Spawn pausing refers specifically to pausing the game during the spawn animation, as this is the longest animation that gives you a long time to pause*, and it was discovered before gameplay pausing, which is just pausing during any and all other animations Dana does during gameplay. The benefit of pausing during Dana’s animations is that Dana’s animation will finish before the pause comes into effect and Dana doesn’t move anymore, but the scrolling screen, moving enemies, and the fire coming from Druidle’s wand (not in this TAS) all pause immediately. This allows Dana to get on earlier cycles, as your movement continues while the cycles are paused, and this saves lots of time.
*unimportant for TAS as you can pause and unpause at the perfect times no matter the animation

The New Boss Level Routes

12-10, 13-5, 13-10, and 15-10 all use the same boss level routes as the world record, so the HTTAS and TAS are exactly the same for these levels, but 11-5 and 14-10 have faster TAS-only routes. For 11-5 and 14-10, I created my own routes from scratch by pausing at many more animations than normal, and this made Dana reach earlier cycles and save plenty of time over the humanly viable routes. To see the difference between the humanly viable routes and the TAS route, I recommend watching the commentated TAS.

Closure

I’d like to thank the following people:


TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Moderator
Location: 127.0.0.1
Joined: 8/3/2004
Posts: 18083
Location: 127.0.0.1
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #10720: Krasio's NES Fire 'n Ice "bonus levels" in 38:20.245
nymx
He/Him
Editor, Judge, Expert player (3475)
Location: Under the Weather
Joined: 11/14/2014
Posts: 1131
Location: Under the Weather
Just letting you know that I'm going to try and get this judged this week. Sorry for the delay.
I recently discovered that if you haven't reached a level of frustration with TASing any game, then you haven't done your due diligence. ---- SOYZA: Are you playing a game? NYMX: I'm not playing a game, I'm TASing. SOYZA: Oh...so its not a game...Its for real? ---- Anybody got a Quantum computer I can borrow for 20 minutes? Nevermind...eien's 64 core machine will do. :) ---- BOTing will be the end of all games. --NYMX
Krasio
He/Him
Player (51)
🇲🇾 Malaysia
Joined: 4/10/2026
Posts: 7
Location: 🇲🇾 Malaysia
nymx wrote:
Just letting you know that I'm going to try and get this judged this week. Sorry for the delay.
Okay, sounds good!
Krasio
He/Him
Player (51)
🇲🇾 Malaysia
Joined: 4/10/2026
Posts: 7
Location: 🇲🇾 Malaysia
I just noticed the goal for this TAS was set to be baseline and not bonus levels like I put, the goal isn't baseline/any% since it doesn't play the main 100 levels to beat the game, this TAS plays the 50 bonus levels, which you can easily tell by just watching the run or comparing this time to my any% time; I didn't save over 20 minutes over the 58:26 any% TAS like this TAS also being set as baseline suggests, these two TASes have entirely different levels, so the goal for this TAS should still be bonus levels, not baseline.
nymx
He/Him
Editor, Judge, Expert player (3475)
Location: Under the Weather
Joined: 11/14/2014
Posts: 1131
Location: Under the Weather
Here is a comparison video: Link to video
I recently discovered that if you haven't reached a level of frustration with TASing any game, then you haven't done your due diligence. ---- SOYZA: Are you playing a game? NYMX: I'm not playing a game, I'm TASing. SOYZA: Oh...so its not a game...Its for real? ---- Anybody got a Quantum computer I can borrow for 20 minutes? Nevermind...eien's 64 core machine will do. :) ---- BOTing will be the end of all games. --NYMX
Krasio
He/Him
Player (51)
🇲🇾 Malaysia
Joined: 4/10/2026
Posts: 7
Location: 🇲🇾 Malaysia
nymx wrote:
Here is a comparison video: Link to video
ok, I mean I already made a commentated tas https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvsI3pEbIbw that acts as a comparison video and it also compares with the human theory tas and my SoB, so you didn't need to spend time making this for me, but it's cool that you make comparison videos for the people that haven't already made a comparison video and would benefit from you making one

1790968081