Submission Text Full Submission Page

Introduction

Hold your horses, ladies and gentlemen, because this ain't what you're thinking it is! It's something much better! ...Kind of. The screen crunch is still pretty bad.
Sonic the Hedgehog GBA is a port by Simon "Stealth" Alexander Thomley of the original Sonic the Hedgehog to the Game Boy Advance. The proof of concept was created in early 2007 as a direct counter to Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis, SEGA's official "port" of Sonic 1 to the Game Boy Advance, and was publicly released for the 2008 Sonic Hacking Contest. It even won the 11000101 Trophy for the best technical work in a submission.
The encode that you see here features no zips and a different Act 3 route.
This port has added the spindash into Sonic 1, and you can also play as Tails or Knuckles by holding A+Start or B+Start at the title screen respectively. There is also a partially complete Labyrinth Zone that you can go into by holding L+Start at the title screen, and there are also two accessible Special Stages.

Explanations

This version of Sonic 1 works pretty similarly to the other classic Sonic games. As such, zips are possible. One is used in Green Hill Zone Act 2.
Within the RSDK engine, there is a perfect spindash, which is a 6-frame spindash. However, it doesn't work in the way that you think it does. It's a lot faster than what you've seen in other speedruns or TASes. It seems to be around three times faster. I use these spindashes to go through the acts at high speeds. Aside from that though, there isn't much different about this port compared to the RSDK version of Sonic 1.


TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Moderator
Location: 127.0.0.1
Joined: 8/3/2004
Posts: 18110
Location: 127.0.0.1
ShgofcTAS
They/Them
Reviewer, Active player (281)
Location: Gensokyo
Joined: 8/14/2025
Posts: 112
Location: Gensokyo
looks good mostly, though im not sure on if you can do the aglar zip on act 2. also, it looks like you could have jumped earlier to hit eggman (unsure if it would save any frames, but worth trying) and the final segment after beating eggman on act 3 looks sloppy but im not sure if it is possible to do better here
i like lion king.. and kirby 👍
JankRusty
Any
Location: International
Joined: 4/24/2026
Posts: 36
Location: International
As I've said in the submission, this seems to use the RSDK engine, so the Aglar Act 2 zip won't work. If this is built in Sonic 1's original code though then it could be possible, assuming that Stealth didn't fix any bugs. I also did make sure that I hit Eggman as soon as I could, however I had to go slightly to the left to hit Eggman due to smaller hitboxes. And regarding the end, well it looks sloppy because the camera moves really slowly, sort of reminiscent of the first boss in Sonic Megamix.
Player (234)
Location: Daten City
Joined: 11/11/2025
Posts: 42
Location: Daten City
JankRusty wrote:
As I've said in the submission, this seems to use the RSDK engine, so the Aglar Act 2 zip won't work. If this is built in Sonic 1's original code though then it could be possible, assuming that Stealth didn't fix any bugs. I also did make sure that I hit Eggman as soon as I could, however I had to go slightly to the left to hit Eggman due to smaller hitboxes. And regarding the end, well it looks sloppy because the camera moves really slowly, sort of reminiscent of the first boss in Sonic Megamix.
I don't think the RSDK engine would even be able to run on such hardware like the GBA, and from what I've seen playing the port myself, it controls mostly like Sonic 3, but with Sonic 1/2 style zips. So the Aglar zips would work, but would have to be set up a little bit differently. --------------------------------------------------------------- Edit: made an 11 second improvement to your run, but mainly only in the boss area. User file #639265805445908221
Don't talk to me until I've had my god damn sugar. Amateur TASer toolassisted.run will always suck in comparison to TASVideos, TASVideos has been around since Y2K after all.

1791747002