Submission Text Full Submission Page

GBA Advance Wars "Glitched" TAS

I improved the previous run of criticaluser's & sgrunt's to 765 frame faster (12.75 seconds)... More down I explain this run

Objectives:

  • Aims for fastest time
  • Heavy glitch abuse
  • Heavy luck manipulation (a bit)

Comments:

To improve this movie ... Improved optimisation, save times in the input, Improved tactic in Mission 11 within training and better use of the glitch called "Design map glitch" and "Force surrender"

New tricks

View-map-win: This trick saves me many time frames to implement it ... Step to explain: Operates when a mission is won, appears the display of "Win" and "Lose", then of counting the coins, before proceeding to the next screen to save the game or not ... it should view the map of the mission and not make animation for switching screens.
No-sound-lag: This means there is less delay in time to play the training missions and the campaign and with the help of mtvf1 find fewer delays to further improve the movie

Glitches

Force Surrender: I took a better way to abuse this bug in the selection of some "Objects" or "Tanks", you should select the color of the enemy to this glitch work. In addition, after the first 2 missions, the object "Delete" is used and another glitch occurs for the glitch "Force surrender" continue to perform... However, to fight other enemies in particular, take an alternate color to work again this bug and win the game

Other comments:

There are several improvements that will be working right now, but I need to start again the run from the use of "Design map glitch" And at the end of a mission, I can improve the input ... It is working ...
Also I am working on another run of Advance Wars, but without the use of "Design map glitch", a normal run, doing all the campaign missions, so do a little more entertaining the missions and the best strategy possible ...

Thanks to:

  • sgrunt and criticaluser for make their movie :)

Suggest screenshots:

  • 15711
  • 32216

feos: Uploaded the 285 frame faster movie, and also judging...
feos: Accepting and publishing...
feos: Updating the submission file once again, accepting and publishing...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Experienced Forum User, Moderator
Joined: 8/3/2004
Posts: 12390
Location: 127.0.0.1
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4211: Kiske, mtvf1's GBA Advance Wars in 13:33.39
Editor, Experienced Forum User, Experienced player (556)
Joined: 11/8/2010
Posts: 3953
Exotic platforms TASer of 2014NES TAS of 2013
This syncs on VBA 23.6 svn480 (the latest revision of that branch of VBA). Also, removed branch name. The fastest run of a game is always any%, so no branch name is needed. And whenever you finish and submit the other run, it will be published with the branch name "no design map glitch". Anyway, nice improvement. Voting Yes.
Active player, Experienced Forum User (330)
Joined: 12/17/2013
Posts: 73
Location: Argentina
Ok ... Thanks ... I hate this I dizzy me with emulators makes me a lot of laps, but do not understand why the timer 13:39, if it appears in the emulator 13:36 EDIT: I feel very lazy to sync now, I have to reconfigure to my way and now I don't want, when I finish, see if I can finish to sync.
Current Projects: Snic & Knuckles 3 - Knuckles 100% - AIZ2 Future Proyects: Genesis games GBx - GBA games
Patashu
He/Him
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 10/2/2005
Posts: 3864
Kiske wrote:
Ok ... Thanks ... I hate this I dizzy me with emulators makes me a lot of laps, but do not understand why the timer 13:39, if it appears in the emulator 13:36
Frame rates. MATH STARTS Your emulator times it using 60 fps (to make it better for 60 fps and 30 fps videos, 60 fps refresh rate monitors, etc) while the site uses 262144 / 4389 = 59.72750056960583 fps (the true fps of GBA) to time it. 13:39.71 could be 819.7062 seconds rounded up. 819.7062/(1/59.72750056960583) is 48959 frames. 48959 frames at 60 fps is 815.98333... seconds. Or 13:35.9833333... Which if you round it to the nearest second you'll see 13:36, which is what you saw in your emulator. MATH ENDS
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
Active player, Experienced Forum User (330)
Joined: 12/17/2013
Posts: 73
Location: Argentina
285 frame faster Here is the new movie and all ready :)
Patashu wrote:
Kiske wrote:
Ok ... Thanks ... I hate this I dizzy me with emulators makes me a lot of laps, but do not understand why the timer 13:39, if it appears in the emulator 13:36
Frame rates. MATH STARTS Your emulator times it using 60 fps (to make it better for 60 fps and 30 fps videos, 60 fps refresh rate monitors, etc) while the site uses 262144 / 4389 = 59.72750056960583 fps (the true fps of GBA) to time it. 13:39.71 could be 819.7062 seconds rounded up. 819.7062/(1/59.72750056960583) is 48959 frames. 48959 frames at 60 fps is 815.98333... seconds. Or 13:35.9833333... Which if you round it to the nearest second you'll see 13:36, which is what you saw in your emulator. MATH ENDS
Now, I understand all !! :).. Thanks for his explanation
Current Projects: Snic & Knuckles 3 - Knuckles 100% - AIZ2 Future Proyects: Genesis games GBx - GBA games
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 12/11/2010
Posts: 60
So you beat the stage just by looking at them with an angry face and you still only get a 'B' rank. Do you have to get a flawless victory to get an A?
Zarmakuizz
He/Him
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 10/12/2013
Posts: 279
Location: France
On hardest difficulty, you need to kill at least 1 unit and have at least 1 survivor to have two scores maxed, then the time is taken into account. As he never kills ennemies, one score is at 0 and the others at 100% so B rank at best. I don't know if deleting an ennemy via the editor mode counts as killing, but anyway it wouldn't bring much entertainment to get the S rank. At least this is what I deduced from regular play (I got 100% at Strength while killing only a couple of ennemies in hardest difficulty, another time I got 100% at the 3rd stat I forgot the name with only a couple of units surviving). Also I might talk for nothing as I don't know if the tas is on hardest difficulty.
Glitcher
He/Him
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 3/24/2007
Posts: 216
Location: London, U.K.
A nice improvement, but it's not much to look at when you're just a cheese-eating surrender monkey. Meh vote.
Experienced Forum User, Skilled player (1064)
Joined: 5/11/2011
Posts: 423
Location: China
GBA TASer of 2013
What's about turn off the music? The less lag.
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 11/6/2010
Posts: 88
Location: Argentina
Zarmakuizz wrote:
On hardest difficulty, you need to kill at least 1 unit and have at least 1 survivor to have two scores maxed, then the time is taken into account. As he never kills ennemies, one score is at 0 and the others at 100% so B rank at best. I don't know if deleting an ennemy via the editor mode counts as killing, but anyway it wouldn't bring much entertainment to get the S rank. At least this is what I deduced from regular play (I got 100% at Strength while killing only a couple of ennemies in hardest difficulty, another time I got 100% at the 3rd stat I forgot the name with only a couple of units surviving). Also I might talk for nothing as I don't know if the tas is on hardest difficulty.
Actually, winning in advance campaign by surrender glitch gives you an S rank. This was a normal campaign run.
Active player, Experienced Forum User (330)
Joined: 12/17/2013
Posts: 73
Location: Argentina
mtvf1 wrote:
What's about turn off the music? The less lag.
I never tried ... But it must be more boring without music, I believe And, He was replaced the movie? Because I see the same time and re-records... just I say.. I said nothing ! :/
Current Projects: Snic & Knuckles 3 - Knuckles 100% - AIZ2 Future Proyects: Genesis games GBx - GBA games
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 7/2/2007
Posts: 3960
So you glitch yourself an "I Win" button, and then mash that button in every fight in the campaign? This is pretty dull (aside from the first few minutes when you're still setting up); I didn't manage to sit through the entire thing. It's nice and fast, sure, and the garbled graphics are kind of entertaining, but it gets really repetitive.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 11/6/2010
Posts: 88
Location: Argentina
Kiske wrote:
mtvf1 wrote:
What's about turn off the music? The less lag.
I never tried ... But it must be more boring without music, I believe And, He was replaced the movie? Because I see the same time and re-records... just I say.. I said nothing ! :/
I agree, turning of the music will make this run more boring while not being a notable improvement. Nice improvement, yes vote. (Using delete was ingenious, saving 1 lag frame per unit built)
Experienced Forum User, Skilled player (1064)
Joined: 5/11/2011
Posts: 423
Location: China
GBA TASer of 2013
criticaluser wrote:
Kiske wrote:
mtvf1 wrote:
What's about turn off the music? The less lag.
I never tried ... But it must be more boring without music, I believe And, He was replaced the movie? Because I see the same time and re-records... just I say.. I said nothing ! :/
I agree, turning of the music will make this run more boring while not being a notable improvement. Nice improvement, yes vote. (Using delete was ingenious, saving 1 lag frame per unit built)
Only 2 stages and 4 minutes have no music. Is it really boring? But it can save more than 60 frames. Another improvement, walking like this picture, you can save 14 frames. Because of the less be supplied. I think this can be fixed easily.
Experienced Forum User, Experienced player, Site Admin (974)
Joined: 4/17/2010
Posts: 10599
Location: RU
NES TAS of 2011
For a Vault run as the current one is, you can even turn all sound off completely if it saves time. It's already in vault! Only a few people enjoy watching it. And then, all actual time-savers should be applied, since entertainment is already lost, and you can't save it by not turning off the music.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting. If TASing is meta-play, TASVideos Movie Rules are meta-meta-play!
Active player, Experienced Forum User (330)
Joined: 12/17/2013
Posts: 73
Location: Argentina
mtvf1 wrote:
criticaluser wrote:
Kiske wrote:
mtvf1 wrote:
What's about turn off the music? The less lag.
I never tried ... But it must be more boring without music, I believe And, He was replaced the movie? Because I see the same time and re-records... just I say.. I said nothing ! :/
I agree, turning of the music will make this run more boring while not being a notable improvement. Nice improvement, yes vote. (Using delete was ingenious, saving 1 lag frame per unit built)
Only 2 stages and 4 minutes have no music. Is it really boring? But it can save more than 60 frames. Another improvement, walking like this picture, you can save 14 frames. Because of the less be supplied. I think this can be fixed easily.
About the picture, I've already tried that, but are several frames slower .. Because try several methods, and saving "xx" frames, you lose that amount in the coming days played and I spend several times With respect to music, I remain unconvinced ...
Current Projects: Snic & Knuckles 3 - Knuckles 100% - AIZ2 Future Proyects: Genesis games GBx - GBA games
Experienced Forum User, Experienced player, Site Admin (974)
Joined: 4/17/2010
Posts: 10599
Location: RU
NES TAS of 2011
It can be left as a possible improvement as well, if applying it would be much work and there are no other possibilities.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting. If TASing is meta-play, TASVideos Movie Rules are meta-meta-play!
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 11/6/2010
Posts: 88
Location: Argentina
feos wrote:
For a Vault run as the current one is, you can even turn all sound off completely if it saves time. It's already in vault! Only a few people enjoy watching it. And then, all actual time-savers should be applied, since entertainment is already lost, and you can't save it by not turning off the music.
You've got a point, from that point of view it is better to turn off the music if the run goes to the vault.
Experienced Forum User, Skilled player (1064)
Joined: 5/11/2011
Posts: 423
Location: China
GBA TASer of 2013
http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/1561945297/kiske-advancewars.vbm I improved 13 frames(I got 1 more lag) in stage 2, but this game give me 8 more lag frames before edit map, why? I fail to synth it.
Active player, Experienced Forum User (330)
Joined: 12/17/2013
Posts: 73
Location: Argentina
mtvf1 wrote:
http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/1561945297/kiske-advancewars.vbm I improved 13 frames(I got 1 more lag) in stage 2, but this game give me 8 more lag frames before edit map, why? I fail to synth it.
Isn't a notable improvement !! But you have to calculate more or less time to reach the "Design map" and it is difficult for the lag in-game :( If you get to do something a little better, we can come to an agreement to replace the movie again, but even at least between 3 or 6 frames faster is even harder. Because you say you lost when editing the map
Current Projects: Snic & Knuckles 3 - Knuckles 100% - AIZ2 Future Proyects: Genesis games GBx - GBA games
Experienced Forum User, Skilled player (1064)
Joined: 5/11/2011
Posts: 423
Location: China
GBA TASer of 2013
62 frames saved (because of no sound and a small improvement) It's sync perfect now. Too bad I got the same 8 more lag frames before edit map. I have campared the RAM of old and this new run, but there are 3700 different memory addresses(2bits). I don't know what's reason. There are 8 more lag frames can be saved in campaign missions, but I must find them very carefully.
Active player, Experienced Forum User (330)
Joined: 12/17/2013
Posts: 73
Location: Argentina
mtvf1 wrote:
62 frames saved (because of no sound and a small improvement) It's sync perfect now. Too bad I got the same 8 more lag frames before edit map. I have campared the RAM of old and this new run, but there are 3700 different memory addresses(2bits). I don't know what's reason. There are 8 more lag frames can be saved in campaign missions, but I must find them very carefully.
If you can improve even more, and everything is definitive, I'll ask to replace the current movie and I will add you as co-author But when I went to "design map" I had no frames lost, was all very fast ..
Current Projects: Snic & Knuckles 3 - Knuckles 100% - AIZ2 Future Proyects: Genesis games GBx - GBA games
Experienced Forum User, Skilled player (1064)
Joined: 5/11/2011
Posts: 423
Location: China
GBA TASer of 2013
71 frames saved I have found these lag frames in campaign missions. But I still didn't found the reason why game give me 8 more lag frames before "design map". I found something interesting addresses like 03000609 and 03005359, but after using cheat, nothing happened. edit: If kiske didn't find other improvement, maybe this file is the last.
Active player, Experienced Forum User (330)
Joined: 12/17/2013
Posts: 73
Location: Argentina
Final improvement Yesterday I spent all night trying to find some improvement, but I found none, except for either 2 or 5 frames saved, but were minimal and is now even better your movie feos: You can replace this movie?
Current Projects: Snic & Knuckles 3 - Knuckles 100% - AIZ2 Future Proyects: Genesis games GBx - GBA games
Experienced Forum User, Experienced player, Site Admin (974)
Joined: 4/17/2010
Posts: 10599
Location: RU
NES TAS of 2011
Yes, if mtvf1 isn't improving it.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting. If TASing is meta-play, TASVideos Movie Rules are meta-meta-play!