Movie information

  • This movie was made with the --no-gui argument
  • MD5 Hash: 1f8881dbfc2d13e3f64c19169b2e2614
  • This movie aims to minimize the in-game time
  • This movie requires a very specific version of the game, which you can download here: https://archive.org/details/snailiad-60fps
  • Commentary in the form of Youtube subtitles is available

About this game and movie

Snailiad is a Flash metroidvania developed by Auriplane. It follows the story of Snaily Snail, who's on a quest to save his friend Moon Snail and turn him into the legendary Sun Snail.
This movie aims to complete the "Boss Rush" mode as fast as possible, while optimizing for in-game time. It achieves that goal 1 minute and 38 seconds faster than the RTA WR by ActiveUnique.

Unique game version

This movie requires a specific version of the game that caps the framerate at 60fps. This is required due to the fact that the base game runs internally at 120fps, but when playing casually, it'll never run faster than 60fps. Running the base game at 60fps caused some glitches to become impossible, and running it at 120fps caused desync issues, so that's why this mod is needed, it's the most accurate way of TASing this game. The mod was developed by Dimuslv, and is available on the link I provided up there on the "Movie information" section.

Movie versions

There are two movie versions: The one I submitted, which includes some playaround (that doesn't lose in-game time), and the fast one, which erases all that amazing playaround. You can download the shorter version here. The encode I'm showing uses the shorter version.

The actual run

Unfortunately, I don't know how to make movies that start from preexisting save files in libTAS, so part of this movie is just doing what's needed to get to the boss rush mode, without actually being in the boss rush mode.

Strategies

The strategies I use in the bosses are relatively simple, so I don't feel like I need to explain everything. You can just see and understand. If you're confused about any movement tricks, just check the submission text of the 100% TAS.

Thanks

Special thanks to Dimuslv for making the necessary mods for the game, the 60fps mod and the position variables mod.

Suggested Screenshot

Frame 2237

ikuyo: Claiming for judging.
ikuyo: Hey mike! Sorry this took me a bit.
As usual with your work, it was fun to watch and a technical delight. As such, it is embarrasing a bit to admit that the hardest part of processing this movie was deciding how to branch it.
For those not familiar with the game, the Boss Rush mode can be unlocked after getting certain upgrades, and the most popular Boss Rush category is Glitchless, as the game has several zips and out of bounds shenanigans that make skipping all the way to the end of Boss Rush possible. This exactly what this movie uses to enter the very end of the Boss rush mode from the main gameplay mode. As such, We needed to understand how a movie that enters Boss Rush and uses glitches to skip to the end would differ from this one, and well, the answer was staring at us the whole time!
Accepting to Alternative as "Boss Rush, glitched in game time".

r3gamerz: Processing...


TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Moderator
Location: 127.0.0.1
Joined: 8/3/2004
Posts: 18110
Location: 127.0.0.1
Emulator Coder, Site Admin, Skilled player (1228)
Joined: 4/17/2010
Posts: 11974
Unfortunately, I don't know how to make movies that start from preexisting save files in libTAS, so part of this movie is just doing what's needed to get to the boss rush mode, without actually being in the boss rush mode.
If you unlock it outside libtas, save, and then restart ruffle, does it remain unlocked?
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Editor, Skilled player (1829)
Location: Somewhere on planet earth probably
Joined: 1/7/2023
Posts: 121
Location: Somewhere on planet earth probably
feos wrote:
Unfortunately, I don't know how to make movies that start from preexisting save files in libTAS, so part of this movie is just doing what's needed to get to the boss rush mode, without actually being in the boss rush mode.
If you unlock it outside libtas, save, and then restart ruffle, does it remain unlocked?
I don't think it does
"He who is tired of TASing is tired of life" Something Homer Simpson definitely said
ikuyo
She/Her
Admin Assistant, Senior Judge, Experienced player (690)
🇨🇱 Chile
Joined: 7/8/2021
Posts: 237
Location: 🇨🇱 Chile
Hey! I am reposting questions here that I also put on discord. Use whichever medium is best for you:
  • Do you know what upgrades, if any, do you start Boss Rush with? how is it different than the start point in the main game mode?
  • Furthermore, is it possible to do any major skips within boss rush mode itself? I assume so considering the main speedrun category is boss rush Glitchless, which bans a bunch of oob stuff.
The main reason I ask this is that I want to know if it makes any sense for us to make a distinction between this movie and a hypothetical movie that enters Boss Rush mode and uses glitches to skip to the end of the mode.
GuanlongX wrote:
auuuugh my face when games are creative and cool and don't fit arbitrary rulesets
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Moderator
Location: 127.0.0.1
Joined: 8/3/2004
Posts: 18110
Location: 127.0.0.1
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [7260] Flash Snailiad "Boss Rush, glitched ingame time" by Mikewillplays in 0:00.00 (IGT)