Knuckles in Sonic The Hedgehog TAS by JXQ
This run satisfies the following criteria:
- Aims for fastest time
- Takes damage to save time
- Abuses programming errors
- Ignores delays caused by bonus effects
Here we have an impressive hack put together by Stealth, placing Knuckles into Sonic the Hedgehog 1. The game has been discussed here a bit, but you can find its official topic at the Sonic 2 Beta message board. All of Knuckles' abilities are preserved and are true to the feel of playing as Knuckles in other Sonic games with LOCK-ON TECHNOLOGY.
I worked on this run and my Sonic run
concurrently. The games were similar enough that doing them together helped keeped things fresh in my mind, yet different enough that it didn't get too repetitive.
I suggest watching the Sonic run first before this one, because the Sonic run shows how the game was meant to be played before watching this run break that mold.
|Green Hill 1||0:17
|Green Hill 2||0:11
|Green Hill 3||0:28
|Spring Yard 1||0:20
|Spring Yard 2||0:21
|Spring Yard 3||0:44
|Star Light 1||0:17
|Star Light 2||0:14
|Star Light 3||0:30
|Scrap Brain 1||0:21
|Scrap Brain 2||0:29
|Scrap Brain 3||0:13
Points of Interest:
- Green Hill 3 - The bottom route after the speed shoes does get to the boss faster, but not being able to hit him right away more than negates this difference.
- Labyrinth 2 & 3 - Releasing the button while sliding on the ground gives a pause, which gets the ball rolling for some nice zipping action.
- Scrap Brain 1 - Sonic's route with the zipping is quite a bit slower than the route taken here (Thanks to Ouzo for this route).
- Upthorn, again, for going above and beyond helping with Gens memory watching and even coding a special version for use in this run. He also pointed out several improvements since he knows Knuckles TASing quite well.
- Ouzo, for a quality completed run of this game that I could compare myself against.
- Nitsuja, for showing me some basics about Knuckles and spin-dash in the first level, and for showing me a faster method for Green Hill 2.
Enjoy the run!
Bisqwit: Submission file replaced from author's supply.
: This hack has been "officially" approved and the run is of pubishing quality. Accepting for publication.
: Delayed while author attempts improvements.
: Setting back to accepted, see thread for details.
: Setting to Publication Underway.