Submission Text Full Submission Page
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Manipulates luck
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Emulator used VBA19.3
Castlevania AoS Julius version by zggzdydp. This run is 61 seconds faster than the published run by Atma. Improvements come from optimized movement and boss fight. As the published run, played in normal mode, the only difference in hard mode is stronger boss, but longer boss fight is more boring. Thanks Amta for his contributions, huzhangyang for his WIP, and klmz as my WIP viewer.

NesVideoAgent: Hi! I am a robot. I took a few screenshots of this movie and placed them here. Here goes! Feel free to clean up the list.

Truncated: Nice work. Accepting as improvement to current Julius movie.

adelikat: Processing.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Experienced Forum User, Moderator
Joined: 8/3/2004
Posts: 13023
Location: 127.0.0.1
Editor, Experienced Forum User, Experienced player (713)
Joined: 6/13/2006
Posts: 3300
Location: Massachussetts, USA
Ooolay Ooolay Ooolay Ooolay Ooolay OoolayOoolay Ooolay OoolayOoolay Ooolay OoolayOoolay Ooolay Yes vote.
Homepage ☣ Retired
Experienced Forum User, Skilled player (1477)
Joined: 7/15/2007
Posts: 1468
Location: Sweden
<fap><fap><fap><fap> Yes it is so dammed good that I faped 4 times, also I'm drunk. But this is pure awesomenes on a can. I voted yes it that was not painfully obvious already.
Agare Bagare Kopparslagare
Yrr
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 8/10/2006
Posts: 289
Location: Germany, Bayern
Finally an improvement of the old run! Also, Julius' voice is epic! roflcopter yes vote.
Experienced Forum User, Player (159)
Joined: 4/27/2006
Posts: 304
Location: Eastern Canada
Hmm. The fight against Graham is pretty long... how much would collecting one more boss orb boost Julius' attack by? if it close to doubles your damage it may be worth trying to kill an extra boss first (least out of the way would be the hippogriph, I believe). Also, in that fight, if the cross can connect multiple times it may be better to use it once or twice in the first phase to cut out that last teleport (you were only one hit away from avoiding it). Also, the fact that you get hit three times in the last fight is a bit of a letdown, is the getting hit animation really faster than flat out avoiding the attack? alternatively you could save magic for these sections and throw axes while crouching, or using the cross crash (makes you invincible, right?). Of course, that applies only if those suggestions are in fact faster... also, is the dual arm attack not manipulateable in any way? It didn't seem to follow from a pattern of X single arm attacks to 1 dual arm attack... The rest of the run was great, very sneaky way of moving quickly, I'm just not entirely convinced that this can't be improved any further.
Experienced Forum User, Moderator
Joined: 8/4/2005
Posts: 5745
Location: Moscow, Russia
Voted yes since it's already so much faster and more awesome than the old run, but would like to see some of RT's questions answered.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Editor, Emulator Coder, Experienced Forum User, Skilled player (1744)
Joined: 5/22/2007
Posts: 1134
Location: Glitchvania
Rising Tempest wrote:
The fight against Graham is pretty long... how much would collecting one more boss orb boost Julius' attack by? if it close to doubles your damage it may be worth trying to kill an extra boss first (least out of the way would be the hippogriph, I believe).
IIRC, hippogriph is absent from this game. There are 3 possible alternatives: to beat Manticore/Big Golem/Death and get 1 more powerup. However according to some tests none would be faster since they are too far away or simply too slow to kill (Death is).
Rising Tempest wrote:
Also, in that fight, if the cross can connect multiple times it may be better to use it once or twice in the first phase to cut out that last teleport (you were only one hit away from avoiding it).
I think so. o_O
Rising Tempest wrote:
Also, the fact that you get hit three times in the last fight is a bit of a letdown, is the getting hit animation really faster than flat out avoiding the attack? alternatively you could save magic for these sections and throw axes while crouching, or using the cross crash (makes you invincible, right?). Of course, that applies only if those suggestions are in fact faster... also, is the dual arm attack not manipulateable in any way? It didn't seem to follow from a pattern of X single arm attacks to 1 dual arm attack...
Maybe. The biggest problem I see is there will be more than 3 categories of AoS submissions. Will the 3-categories-rule be break when the "all souls run" gets submitted? EDIT: Oh Yes vote! EDIT2: I didn't answer all the questions.
<klmz> it reminds me of that people used to keep quoting adelikat's IRC statements in the old good days <adelikat> no doubt <adelikat> klmz, they still do
Experienced Forum User, Skilled player (1012)
Joined: 9/15/2006
Posts: 164
Location: China
Rising Tempest wrote:
how much would collecting one more boss orb boost Julius' attack by
As klmz said. He suggested me beat the Big Golem boss in Dance Hall, unfortunately we found it still doesn't save time after we tested for it. Other bosses are too far, it's impossible that kill one of them to save time.
Rising Tempest wrote:
is the getting hit animation really faster than flat out avoiding the attack? or using the cross crash.
Hm, try to understand: if the hero takes no damage, he must wait the arms separate, then he can jump and attack, right? but in the run, he jumped before the arms separated, you can watch clear with FA. In other words, he jumped earlier by damage taking. Cross crash spent too much MP, I'm sure it's not worth using it. I have no idea that manipulate the boss attack, of course I tried to avoid the dual arms attack, but failed. Maybe it's possible, yet very diffcult. klmz, Super Metroid has 4 movies.
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 8/1/2004
Posts: 2687
Location: Seattle, WA
Rising Tempest wrote:
least out of the way would be the hippogriph
Hippogriph is not in this game.
hi nitrodon streamline: cyn-chine
Experienced Forum User, Skilled player (1477)
Joined: 7/15/2007
Posts: 1468
Location: Sweden
klmz wrote:
The biggest problem I see is there will be more than 3 categories of AoS submissions. Will the 3-categories-rule be break when the "all souls run" gets submitted?
Well there is no absolute rule that statest it impossible for a game to have more than 3 categories. Both Super Metroid and Metroid have 4 each. As long as there is a good reason for it there can be 4 categories, and I think there is a better reason to do it with this game than there where to do it with Super Metroid. If anything the 100% run should obsolete the non-warped any% run if it can't get published otherwise, since that category seems kinda useless if there exists a 100% run. Still I think that all of them should be allowed to co-exist.
Agare Bagare Kopparslagare
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 8/7/2006
Posts: 344
Zurreco wrote:
Rising Tempest wrote:
least out of the way would be the hippogriph
Hippogriph is not in this game.
Edit: Eh, I fail at reading comprehension. Carry on. :<
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 9/1/2005
Posts: 803
Also, the fact that you get hit three times in the last fight is a bit of a letdown,
I agree with this.
is the getting hit animation really faster than flat out avoiding the attack? alternatively you could save magic for these sections and throw axes while crouching, or using the cross crash (makes you invincible, right?). Of course, that applies only if those suggestions are in fact faster...
While I can't comment on the first part (as I never considered damage to be a worthwhile option for such a short play), the second part isn't really that viable as you can't use sub-weapons while ducking as the command to use them is up+b, iirc.
also, is the dual arm attack not manipulatable in any way? It didn't seem to follow from a pattern of X single arm attacks to 1 dual arm attack...
I wasn't able to find a way to manipulate the hand movements to completely remove the dual attack back when I did my run of this, or even a real pattern to them outside of the "you're on this side, I'll attack this side" kind. With the dual attack, you can force some invincibility during it with the uppercut to allow you to damage it anyway without getting hit. This was rather entertaining I do say. The boss fight against the head switching dude who's name I no longer remember was better than mine in several ways, although the getting hit did on grahams last form did detract from the entertainment a bit in my mind. Regardless, good work zggzdydp, this gets a yes :)
Sir VG
He/Him
Experienced Forum User, Player (36)
Joined: 10/9/2004
Posts: 1910
Location: Floating Tower
I've heard of some bizarre ways to move being faster than walking, but I think this takes the cake. Voting yes for jumpsickness.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Experienced Forum User, Player (159)
Joined: 4/27/2006
Posts: 304
Location: Eastern Canada
Zurreco wrote:
Rising Tempest wrote:
least out of the way would be the hippogriph
Hippogriph is not in this game.
Manticore, Hippogryph, same thing.
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 8/1/2004
Posts: 2687
Location: Seattle, WA
Rising Tempest wrote:
Manticore, Hippogryph, same thing.
Well, Manticore is the body of a lion with wings and a human face. Hippogryph is a griffin with hooves. There is enough of a difference. Or are dogs and cats essentially the same?
hi nitrodon streamline: cyn-chine
Experienced Forum User, Moderator
Joined: 8/4/2005
Posts: 5745
Location: Moscow, Russia
Zurreco wrote:
Well, Manticore is the body of a lion with wings and a human face. Hippogryph is a griffin with hooves.
That's quite an amazing selfpwnage. :P
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
HHS
Active player, Experienced Forum User (272)
Joined: 10/8/2006
Posts: 356
But most griffins aren't dogs, so your argument falls completely apart. Or are you implying that Hippogryph is actually Brian Griffin?
Sir VG
He/Him
Experienced Forum User, Player (36)
Joined: 10/9/2004
Posts: 1910
Location: Floating Tower
Zurreco wrote:
Rising Tempest wrote:
Manticore, Hippogryph, same thing.
Well, Manticore is the body of a lion with wings and a human face. Hippogryph is a griffin with hooves. There is enough of a difference. Or are dogs and cats essentially the same?
Look perfectly identical to me.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 7/26/2006
Posts: 1215
moozooh wrote:
That's quite an amazing selfpwnage. :P
Sir VG wrote:
Look perfectly identical to me.
You guys suck at changing a URL to see what he meant. 1) http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/Zurreco/manticore.jpg 2) http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/Zurreco/hippogryph.jpg
Experienced Forum User, Moderator
Joined: 8/4/2005
Posts: 5745
Location: Moscow, Russia
More like, he was supposed to do it. But failed!
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Active player, Experienced Forum User (413)
Joined: 3/21/2006
Posts: 940
Location: Toronto, Canada
Good mercy...Lord, please help me... There is a demigod among us.
My current project: Something mysterious (oooooh!) My username is all lower-case letters. Please get it right :(
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Experienced Forum User, Moderator
Joined: 8/3/2004
Posts: 13023
Location: 127.0.0.1
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [1127] GBA Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow "Julius mode" by zggzdydp in 04:51.98