Submission Text Full Submission Page
Lets get back to the root of evil, this game is the prequel to Symphony Of The Night, its the first castlevania using cdrom, and was never release in usa / europe.
There is a SNES port of this game called Dracula X (or Vampire Kiss in pal version), but its nowhere near his big brother.

Summary

  • Aim For Fastest Time
  • Use a Suboptimal Route (Regular Stages only)
  • Takes Damage To Save Time
  • Manipulates Luck
  • First submission featuring mc2 mednafen
  • Emulator used: Mednafen Mednafen-RR revision 249 (mc2)
  • Unofficial Encodes [1]
  • Frames:89962 Lag:xxxx Re-records:31233


Notes



Long story for short: maria should go faster (any% is half done as i wrote this), and shes also faster in the 100% run, so whe wanted a richter run
Richter run start to be different than maria directly after the first boss
The key subweapon seem to be the most powerfull (x2 whip damage...), also richter look like chuck norris and it surely is hilarous to see him key-to-death most bosses (and dracula!)

Ram Watch

Copy/Paste this in notepad and save as watch.wch, then load in mednafen

11
00000 00000094 b s 0 hearts
00001 00000098 b s 0 health
00002 00000093 b s 0 weapon
00003 00001E10 b u 0 X Cam 2nd byte
00004 00001E0C b u 0 X Cam
00005 00001E30 b u 0 X Subpixel
00006 00000720 b u 0 y pos
00007 00000CD0 b u 0 y pos
00008 00000D28 b u 0 Y Subpixel
00009 00000742 b s 0 Boss HP
0000A 000012B8 b s 0 Boss HP
000B 00001E10 b u 0 X Cam 2nd byte


Unofficial Encodes[1]

  • Youtube

Closings

Thanks to paul_t and adelikat, whe worked all together on rondo, and it was realy fun, even tought i made this one on my own side and im submiting alone, whe mutualy helped eatch others well, and it end up very efficient to have 2 extra pairs of experienced eyes :D
A svn was setup to collaborate in making rondo movie(s), you can have a check on it here : http://code.google.com/p/rondoofblood/

arukAdo Canceled because of recent findings, maria been slower than richter, this "entertainement" run doesnt make anymore sences for now, richter will get its own run anyway, eventually if everybody cry out loud enought for stage3/4 over the fastest route... who knows...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Experienced Forum User, Moderator
Joined: 8/3/2004
Posts: 12391
Location: 127.0.0.1
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2311: arukAdo's PCECD Castlevania - Rondo Of Blood in 25:03.72
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Expert player, Site Developer, Site Owner (3586)
Joined: 11/3/2004
Posts: 4697
Location: Tennessee
TASer of 2010NES TASer of 2010DS TASer of 2010Arcade TAS of 2010NES TASer of 2008NES TAS of 2008Funny TAS of 2008TASer of 2007NES TASer of 2007Funny TAS of 2007
Well, I've already got a preview of this run obviously. SO I will go ahead and post my yes vote. I think this is a well optimized movie and will make a great compliment to the any% run once it is ready. (and assuming maria will beat richtor in final time) Keying bosses to death = mega-LOL
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 7/2/2007
Posts: 3960
In the first stage, you paused to gather some hearts, but then you threw a bunch of axes away after beating the boss. Before jumping into the pit in stage 3 you went a bit further left; what was the reason for that? In the room in stage 4 right after you killed a White Dragon, would it have been possible to damage boost up to the upper area instead of walking the long way around? Death, you're a skeleton! Skeletons don't bleed! Pull it together, man! The cutscene video (in the cutscene right after killing Death) lags badly behind the sound. Is that an encoding issue or one with the emulator? Same goes for the endgame cutscene, though obviously it matters less there. After climbing the first room in the clock tower (right after crossing the collapsing bridge), you did a backflip that got hung up on the wall for a bit. I assume this was still faster than walking? Stylistically, it would have been nice if you'd done something else during waiting periods than just using the key over and over again. I don't think we ever got to see Richter complete a backflip, for example. Otherwise, looked reasonably good. The cutscenes did drag on rather badly, especially since I'd no idea what was being said.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Experienced Forum User, Experienced player (997)
Joined: 12/3/2008
Posts: 936
Location: Castle Keep
PSX TAS of 2011PSX TAS of 2010Rookie of 2009New systems TASer of 2009New systems TAS of 2009
Derakon wrote:
In the first stage, you paused to gather some hearts, but then you threw a bunch of axes away after beating the boss.
It would be very tedious to detail everything in this strategy, if you realy feel the need to find out, you can go on svn and roll out history, the result is quite simple tought: -You need to have 30(+) hearts for the boss, because it take 12 axes, and that in this game II = 20-29 hearts, III = 30-39 hearts, for short if i dont have enought axe the boss goes slower due to less axe on screen -Taking damage this way rather than using the rocks guys is faster, 36 frames, and AFTER boss (this need to watch history to be realy understood) -I waste axes because i obviously dont need them anymore, and i want to reach 0 heart for key / stage2 boss (1 frame gain per heart on the end level counter) -I could have wasted all axes, but the boss death generate lag, ducking in that case remove some lags, so i cant remove lag + waste axe at the same time, so theres a few left at end
Derakon wrote:
Before jumping into the pit in stage 3 you went a bit further left; what was the reason for that?
I wouldnt reaper on right or have the ability to move in the big falling sequence
Derakon wrote:
In the room in stage 4 right after you killed a White Dragon, would it have been possible to damage boost up to the upper area instead of walking the long way around?
I tryed that for hours without any success, if you can do it, your more a man than i am ! :D
Derakon wrote:
Death, you're a skeleton! Skeletons don't bleed! Pull it together, man!
Heh :D
Derakon wrote:
After climbing the first room in the clock tower (right after crossing the collapsing bridge), you did a backflip that got hung up on the wall for a bit. I assume this was still faster than walking?
Yeah
Derakon wrote:
The cutscene video (in the cutscene right after killing Death) lags badly behind the sound. Is that an encoding issue or one with the emulator? Same goes for the endgame cutscene, though obviously it matters less there.
Both, first its a screen capture software encode, i dont have linux so i cant encode the "official" way Then for the audio few emulation issues, theres weird things happening (see after the title screen) + desync on dialogues, its very very very minor and near not noticable
Derakon wrote:
Stylistically, it would have been nice if you'd done something else during waiting periods than just using the key over and over again. I don't think we ever got to see Richter complete a backflip, for example.
There was tought... maybe you didnt payed attention ...also mind you.. i dont have anything at my disposal else than flipback, key and moonwalk, i use them all Note : see also bosses death animation does generate lag, toying around is not an option you can only duck to degenerate some of it
Derakon wrote:
Otherwise, looked reasonably good. The cutscenes did drag on rather badly, especially since I'd no idea what was being said.
I have no idea too ;) Tought i think its a little obvous.. i rather die than become your servant blablabla
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 7/2/2007
Posts: 3960
Okay, thanks for answering my questions. It's all clear now. :) I didn't realize that the numbers of hearts you have determines how many subweapons you can have onscreen. That's really the biggest "Huh?" moment in the movie. Well, that and noticing all the sprites that Konami's reused over the years.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Experienced Forum User, Experienced player (997)
Joined: 12/3/2008
Posts: 936
Location: Castle Keep
PSX TAS of 2011PSX TAS of 2010Rookie of 2009New systems TASer of 2009New systems TAS of 2009
Derakon wrote:
Okay, thanks for answering my questions. It's all clear now. :) I didn't realize that the numbers of hearts you have determines how many subweapons you can have onscreen. That's really the biggest "Huh?" moment in the movie. Well, that and noticing all the sprites that Konami's reused over the years.
Np dude, feel free to ask anything ;) Also i can agree, the II & III system in this game is silly, they could have make it simplier *will try to update tomorow submission for more readability and review of stages/strategys*
Experienced Forum User, Experienced player (984)
Joined: 9/15/2006
Posts: 163
Location: China
NES TASer of 2017
You forgot to use item crush to lower your hearts at stage 1. Are you sure your route is the fastest? Overall pretty cool run.
Sir VG
He/Him
Experienced Forum User, Player (35)
Joined: 10/9/2004
Posts: 1908
Location: Floating Tower
One thing I don't like from the get go is you're using a dirty ISO. I can tell because the BGM is off. Hopefully it won't affect syncing, though it shouldn't because BGM is position based pulled from the disc. (This generally happens when people are using the ISO+MP3/WAV version that went around for years.) Stage 2 Notes To my recollection, you can't die from Werewolf's Final Attack, which will drop your life to 1. Nothing major. Also, you should be able to item crash the key, like in CDX, which should get you up higher then what you did. Did you check this? Stage 3/4 Notes I'm fairly sure that even for Richter, fighting Dogether and going through Stage 4' and then fighting Dullahan is faster then battling Minotaur and going through Stage 4. Stage 7 Notes Getting Shaft's ghost to appear means you have to hit the mid point. It's not time set, so you need to move over faster. Stage 8 Notes That last hit on Dracula's 2nd form probably cost more time then avoiding it. Overall, pretty good. I think it can be improved though. Giving it a MEH.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Tub
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 6/25/2005
Posts: 1377
This run finally demonstrates why Richter is considered a key figure in the Castlevania storyline. *falls over dead*
m00
Experienced Forum User, Experienced player (997)
Joined: 12/3/2008
Posts: 936
Location: Castle Keep
PSX TAS of 2011PSX TAS of 2010Rookie of 2009New systems TASer of 2009New systems TAS of 2009
Sir VG wrote:
One thing I don't like from the get go is you're using a dirty ISO. I can tell because the BGM is off. Hopefully it won't affect syncing, though it shouldn't because BGM is position based pulled from the disc. (This generally happens when people are using the ISO+MP3/WAV version that went around for years.)
Good try but i have the original cd... so its totaly out of range comment... this is called emulation issue Try never to speculate that much on what people have, youll more likely fail
Sir VG wrote:
Stage 2 Notes To my recollection, you can't die from Werewolf's Final Attack, which will drop your life to 1. Nothing major. Also, you should be able to item crash the key, like in CDX, which should get you up higher then what you did. Did you check this?
I have 1 hp .... And whats the point of using crash here? it just make you fly... and ... nothing else... so in others words, since boss death generate lag, i would generate even more If you meant the key crash "jump" higher than flipback, again, wrong speculate EDIT: ok i have 2 hp... not 1... well, if you get hit by the last attack... youll generate WAY more lags than the single frame you would save on the hp counter... thats sure
Sir VG wrote:
Stage 3/4 Notes I'm fairly sure that even for Richter, fighting Dogether and going through Stage 4' and then fighting Dullahan is faster then battling Minotaur and going through Stage 4.
That would assume i can take the elevator (with key...), witch first is not possible, then i made test, minotaur goes faster, but feel free to demonstrate im slower, i would realy like to see that (coz obviously its just a speculation here, and i know its not by that much)
Sir VG wrote:
Stage 7 Notes Getting Shaft's ghost to appear means you have to hit the mid point. It's not time set, so you need to move over faster.
I dont understand what you mean... anyway this boss = so many desync i wont even speak about him
Sir VG wrote:
Stage 8 Notes That last hit on Dracula's 2nd form probably cost more time then avoiding it.
Hum, you realy tryed this? coz i tryed few times and that was looking the best.. now if its not... its the most easy thing to change...
Sir VG wrote:
Overall, pretty good. I think it can be improved though. Giving it a MEH.
muhaha, cought, laught at you, come on, improve me, man that was pathetic comment, especially since its a richter run... you just earned a automatic NO/MEH from me to every of your upcoming movies... (im not joking) Next time when you say "overall pretty good" youll think twice to vote meh, anyway, you was like very happy on tg forum and now you vote meh... couldnt have watch a wip and make suggestion... no of course rather wait submission and been an ass So like you im gonna do stupid things, and any of your movie gonna get my meh because, its overall pretty good, but meh...
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 3/28/2005
Posts: 216
Excellent run. It's too bad the any% doesn't well show off what the game has to offer. Well, it's about time the holy grail of PCE gaming showed up with a TAS, and I'm glad to see it here. I see very few places for improvement. Yes vote.
Experienced Forum User, Experienced player (997)
Joined: 12/3/2008
Posts: 936
Location: Castle Keep
PSX TAS of 2011PSX TAS of 2010Rookie of 2009New systems TASer of 2009New systems TAS of 2009
Any% (maria) & 100% shall emerge this week if everything goes right I dont think more than 3 category are possible, and well, whe should cover them all :p Edit: apparently the sound problem is just on me, well i guess alcohol just sux to make pce isos, but anyway, it doesnt impact on anything, unless somebody realy speak japanesse
Experienced Forum User, Player (41)
Joined: 7/7/2007
Posts: 27
Location: China
I would like to see a "good ending" run with the four women saved
Rongorongo
Experienced Forum User, Experienced player (997)
Joined: 12/3/2008
Posts: 936
Location: Castle Keep
PSX TAS of 2011PSX TAS of 2010Rookie of 2009New systems TASer of 2009New systems TAS of 2009
arukAdo wrote:
Any% (maria) & 100% shall emerge this week if everything goes right
100% include saving all girls
Experienced Forum User, Skilled player (1466)
Joined: 7/15/2007
Posts: 1468
Location: Sweden
SNES TASer of 2009Rookie of 2008SNES TASer of 2008
arukAdo wrote:
muhaha, cought, laught at you, come on, improve me, man that was pathetic comment, especially since its a richter run... you just earned a automatic NO/MEH from me to every of your upcoming movies... (im not joking) Next time when you say "overall pretty good" youll think twice to vote meh, anyway, you was like very happy on tg forum and now you vote meh... couldnt have watch a wip and make suggestion... no of course rather wait submission and been an ass So like you im gonna do stupid things, and any of your movie gonna get my meh because, its overall pretty good, but meh...
If you are serious about this then you should be removed of the privilege to vote at all. Anyway, I voted yes, I liked the run.
Agare Bagare Kopparslagare
Active player, Experienced Forum User (262)
Joined: 4/30/2009
Posts: 791
Lucky TAS of 2013
Big vote of yes from me.
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 7/1/2008
Posts: 272
i'm surprised at how fast Richter was moving. it almost felt unnaturally fast at first, like the game itself was moving faster than it should allow. i wonder if after killing the Wyvern you could use the axe Item Crash to grab the orb. i don't know how much lag, if any, that would create and if it would save the 8 frames on the score tally. i'm pretty sure the key does cause damage when you use its Item Crash. like VG, i'm surprised you went through Stage 4. i know for a fact that stage is slower than 4', and Dogether has lower defense than the Minotaur. if the problem is getting to Dogether, maybe sacrificing the key is an option. i don't know if enemies drop them later on, though. there are a couple places you could have manipulated luck. the sword miniboss in Stage 5 and the bats at the beginning of Stage 7 are the best examples. the sword can descend quicker, and you can have it so that no bats appear to the left.
arukAdo wrote:
Sir VG wrote:
Stage 7 Notes Getting Shaft's ghost to appear means you have to hit the mid point. It's not time set, so you need to move over faster.
I dont understand what you mean...
what VG means is that Shaft appears when you reach the center of the room.
Sir VG wrote:
Stage 8 Notes That last hit on Dracula's 2nd form probably cost more time then avoiding it.
i agree with this. there's got to be a better way. arukAdo, you took VG's comments way too personally. the way you answered to him is really dickish. if i were like you, i would vote no on this run because your attitude sucks. but i'm smarter than that. i know a good run when i see it. this has some iffy moments, and you did abuse the hell out of the key, killing the entertainment factor somewhat, but the run is still performed very well. i say Yes.
Experienced Forum User, Moderator
Joined: 8/4/2005
Posts: 5745
Location: Moscow, Russia
I'm voting yes. This movie is 100% improvable. You are free to vote whatever on my future runs.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Experienced Forum User, Experienced player (997)
Joined: 12/3/2008
Posts: 936
Location: Castle Keep
PSX TAS of 2011PSX TAS of 2010Rookie of 2009New systems TASer of 2009New systems TAS of 2009
Satoryu wrote:
what VG means is that Shaft appears when you reach the center of the room.
Ok but no, it does appear by itself, its time framed, i tested it...
moozooh wrote:
This movie is 100% improvable.
Yeah if you want... whatever Also satoryu, i dont see how more dicky one can be, than be the only one posting, to say "hei, great, i want to see that run", not opening the wip, and after in the bench voting meh for no (tangible) reason, this is IRRITATING... at best
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 5/2/2009
Posts: 656
arukAdo wrote:
Also satoryu, i dont see how more dicky one can be, than be the only one posting, to say "hei, great, i want to see that run", not opening the wip, and after in the bench voting meh for no (tangible) reason, this is IRRITATING... at best
I'm going to quote Cardboard in the Game Gear's Chuck Rock TAS:
Cardboard wrote:
I am not a good Samaritan enough to watch every single WIP posted to state my opinion. Like the rest, I only watch what I like and what I would like to see a finished run of. This is not something against you.
Don't act like a dick because someone thought your route could be faster. Maybe he's right, maybe he's wrong, we don't really know. Chill out, aruk :P
My first language is not English, so please excuse myself if I write something wrong. I'll do my best do write as cleary as I can, so cope with me here =) (ノಥ益ಥ)ノ
Experienced Forum User, Experienced player (606)
Joined: 4/24/2005
Posts: 612
I watched a majority of this run and I vote yes on it. Improvements? Hah, yeah we know... But that doesn't hinder the integrity of this run, to me that is. Hopefully it doesn't to others as well. Anyway, good job on doing a, uh, good job... In all seriousness, it's a good run.
Sir VG
He/Him
Experienced Forum User, Player (35)
Joined: 10/9/2004
Posts: 1908
Location: Floating Tower
I must say, after trying this emulator for a few minutes, I hate it. Especially the audio desync issue. It works perfectly fine in MagicEngine, but fails horrifically in here. And the front end doesn't want to recognize or run the MC2 properly. Yes, I know you can just use the command prompt, but if you're putting an emulator out there with a front and and it doesn't work as it should, maybe it should wait a bit. Granted I don't know how to fix any of this, so I shouldn't speak so loudly, but I just think PC-Engine games aren't ready for TASVideos yet.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Emulator Coder, Experienced Forum User
Joined: 8/12/2007
Posts: 102
It sounds like you tried to use an old version. Try this: http://mednafen-rr.googlecode.com/files/mednafen-rr-249-pce-mc2.zip
Sir VG
He/Him
Experienced Forum User, Player (35)
Joined: 10/9/2004
Posts: 1908
Location: Floating Tower
paul_t wrote:
It sounds like you tried to use an old version. Try this: http://mednafen-rr.googlecode.com/files/mednafen-rr-249-pce-mc2.zip
Yes, it's old...now. But 227 was the newest download at the time I downloaded. But I still run into the same issues with 249. mc2 won't play, and the audio is off.
mednafen.exe -mov "D:\Games\mednafen\richter.mc2" DraculaX\DraculaX.bin -play 1 "D:\Games\mednafen\SYSCARD3.PCE"
It launches the program but just sits on the Press Run screen.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Active player, Experienced Forum User (287)
Joined: 2/28/2006
Posts: 2275
Location: Milky Way -> Earth -> Brazil
New systems TAS of 2009
I told you it would happen.
"Genuine self-esteem, however, consists not of causeless feelings, but of certain knowledge about yourself. It rests on the conviction that you — by your choices, effort and actions — have made yourself into the kind of person able to deal with reality. It is the conviction — based on the evidence of your own volitional functioning — that you are fundamentally able to succeed in life and, therefore, are deserving of that success." - Onkar Ghate
Bisqwit wrote:
Drama, too long, didn't read, lol.