Editor, Reviewer, Expert player (2225)
Joined: 8/25/2013
Posts: 1211
O_O Edit: Tried getting it to work. Seems like it varies based on inventory/money or something. Could you perhaps make a movie file so this is easier to replicate?
effort on the first draft means less effort on any draft thereafter - some loser
VB
Any
Joined: 7/10/2017
Posts: 2
Hm, that's odd it should work. The only thing that could prevent it is you need 255 potions starting out. This can be done by doing shop glitch with your first two items as equipment (some don't work I don't have a list on me sorry). If that doesn't work I'll make a movie file.
Editor, Reviewer, Expert player (2225)
Joined: 8/25/2013
Posts: 1211
Got it working. Double Control's effects also stack with the Julius Moves glitch, which lets your MP regenerate so you don't get stuck in boss fights. Link to video
effort on the first draft means less effort on any draft thereafter - some loser
Location: New York, US
Joined: 11/26/2010
Posts: 456
Location: New York, US
Those are some interesting glitches!!!
My name is Forensics.
Fortranm
He/Him
Editor, Skilled player (1152)
Joined: 10/19/2013
Posts: 1130
Link to video https://www.speedrun.com/aos/guide/aizon A faster way to activate the debug menu via glitching has been found. You just need to access the shop to do it. I wonder if this is helpful for any% with warps.
Editor, Emulator Coder, Expert player (2355)
Location: Glitchvania
Joined: 5/22/2007
Posts: 1134
Location: Glitchvania
Fortranm wrote:
Link to video https://www.speedrun.com/aos/guide/aizon A faster way to activate the debug menu via glitching has been found. You just need to access the shop to do it. I wonder if this is helpful for any% with warps.
The good old 0HP glitch is still faster, at least for TASes. And that input was originally worked out and posted in Youtube comments, by me. ;-) By the way, there has been memory-corrupting ways to beat this game without even fighting Chaos. I made one last year but haven't decided to submit it.
<klmz> it reminds me of that people used to keep quoting adelikat's IRC statements in the old good days <adelikat> no doubt <adelikat> klmz, they still do
Active player (290)
Joined: 12/13/2016
Posts: 352
Why not submit it then?
Editor, Emulator Coder, Expert player (2355)
Location: Glitchvania
Joined: 5/22/2007
Posts: 1134
Location: Glitchvania
ruadath wrote:
Why not submit it then?
There were still small things to investigate. For now I haven't ensured that the luck manipulation in some rooms are done perfectly.
<klmz> it reminds me of that people used to keep quoting adelikat's IRC statements in the old good days <adelikat> no doubt <adelikat> klmz, they still do
Active player (290)
Joined: 12/13/2016
Posts: 352
Post as a WIP then?
Editor, Emulator Coder, Expert player (2355)
Location: Glitchvania
Joined: 5/22/2007
Posts: 1134
Location: Glitchvania
ruadath wrote:
Post as a WIP then?
Maybe it will hit the submission queue directly.
<klmz> it reminds me of that people used to keep quoting adelikat's IRC statements in the old good days <adelikat> no doubt <adelikat> klmz, they still do
Active player (306)
Location: Milky Way -> Earth -> Brazil
Joined: 2/28/2006
Posts: 2275
Location: Milky Way -> Earth -> Brazil
wow this is still a thing
"Genuine self-esteem, however, consists not of causeless feelings, but of certain knowledge about yourself. It rests on the conviction that you — by your choices, effort and actions — have made yourself into the kind of person able to deal with reality. It is the conviction — based on the evidence of your own volitional functioning — that you are fundamentally able to succeed in life and, therefore, are deserving of that success." - Onkar Ghate
Bisqwit wrote:
Drama, too long, didn't read, lol.
deogenerate
He/Him
Player (130)
🇺🇸 United States
Joined: 8/2/2015
Posts: 9
Location: 🇺🇸 United States
So I've made some pretty good headway on routing for an improvement to Kriole's any% run, but I wanted to get some opinions long before I get to the actual submission on whether the branches should be reexamined. Right now for Soma runs we have the baseline and "game end glitch" for any%, and "all souls" and "all souls, inbounds" for 100% categories. This is a bit strange though because there's two different separator criteria for the two different kinds of runs; whether the game is ended through alternative means versus whether or not wrong warps are employed. "all souls, inbounds" implies that "inbounds" should exist, but it doesn't because that is what the baseline category is. And then we have whatever is going on in Julius mode, which I will conveniently ignore for the time being!! HOWEVER, an actual "inbounds" movie would actually just be a little bit longer "game end glitch" movie, as you would just gun it to Hammer to trigger the credits through shop glitch. This means the baseline is actually an "inbounds, no memory corruption"; it's possible it could stay as just "inbounds" if [1681] GBA Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow "warp glitch" by klmz in 06:14.48 were unobsoleted and made the baseline category to cement the validity of a separate "game end glitch" branch. ...and yet, it's been shown you can also use the shop glitch to summon a glitched Chaos phase 2 and defeat it immediately as well, which might be faster than the new un-obsoleted baseline run but would definitely feel too similar to a "game end glitch" run. And then there would also be the topic of utilizing game end glitches in the all souls runs. A total ban on memory corruption and/or shop glitch would be likely for people to call on, as there would be a multitude of ways to just give yourself souls, and giving yourself souls through this kind of method would be boring and honestly be kind of a spit in the face of these beloved movies. But there are applications, particularly the glitched Chaos, that I think would fit well with the current "all souls" movie if there was more of a sort of whitelist of what you could do. This might require y'know... listing out all of what could be done but that's something I have yet to get to as I type, I just really had a sudden urge to get this out there earlier rather than later. So basically, if I was given the power right now at this moment this is what I'd do...
  • the current baseline movie becomes an "inbounds" branch
  • the "game end glitch" branch is untouched
  • [1681] GBA Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow "warp glitch" by klmz in 06:14.48 is unobsoleted as the baseline branch
  • the "all souls" and "all souls, inbounds" movies are untouched, and any improvements could utilize game end glitches provided a consensus on restrictions on corrupting the acquired souls is reached
The existence of both "inbounds" and "game end glitch" at the same time would keep an "inbounds, game end glitch"-type movie from obsoleting the former. Just figured I'd get this conversation started before I start work on anything and get a nasty surprise once work is already done! Even though that is not likely to happen with this first AoS project I'm doing, I think after this I will move on to "all souls, inbounds", and the issue of game end glitch there is very relevant. anyway thank you for coming to my tedtalk back to EXP routing hell I go lol