The RTA timing of this run is 21:32.73 which is the frame you have control of the Arwing on level 1 to the frame you lose control after beating Andross. This beats the current RTA record by over 38 seconds.
-Normal mode is chosen because more bombs appear which helps save time.
-Any and all horizontal and vertical movement is kept to an absolute minimum as this does slow you down. Lag reduction strategies are also prevalent in this run; any time I go into First-person view it's to prevent laggy animations from being shown. I also only destroy enemies as necessary so that they don't get in my way or cause lag later on.
-Using all of your boost at once is simply not optimal. After some testing it was found that holding boost for 16 frames and letting it refill was the fastest you could go.

Corneria - Zooming. Also picking up lasers for the boss and bombs for Katina skip later on. Ending the level with more or fewer points or teammates has no effect on the timing of the end-of-level cutscene.
Meteo - Zooming
Katina - The mothership will first appear once 10 enemies are killed. A precise bomb shot can kill all 10 instantly (a weird quirk is that if you're already facing the mothership spawn location when the 10th enemy is destroyed, then it won't actually appear until you look away for a frame, so I delay my u-turn by just a bit so it'll spawn). All 4 hatches are already spawned inside the mothership moving in a circle along with the ship. Using several well-placed bombs you can destroy the hatches before they ever appear and then destroy the core once it appears.
Sector X - Zooming
Sector Z - Just waiting around for the first missile to appear. I take out my teammates so they can't heroically destroy the missiles themselves. They are shot down while the Great Fox is not on screen which prevents lag. The only other optimization you can perform is to be a significant distance away from the missile as it approaches the Great Fox. Once the game recognizes you are far enough away it will skip the wait time for the final 10 meters and go straight into the cutscene
Bolse - Fast booms, then zoom. After destroying all 6 energy towers you need to get 10 points in order to make the core appear. Team star wolf shows up just in time to explode.
Venom 1 - Zooming and done!
Lylat saved before a resistance could even be formed

Possible improvements

Katina - I was able to get 3 out of 4 hatches with one bomb a piece, but the 4th took 2 bombs. Getting 5 hits on a hatch from the underside is incredibly precise, but technically possible. Also the core could have been destroyed 2-3 seconds earlier if I was better positioned to fire a bomb at it. As is, I had to wait for my boost to recover so that I could do a somersault to bomb it.
Venom 1 - The intro cutscene plays because it thinks this is my first time playing Venom via the easy route. Re-doing the whole run with an updated verification movie is the only way to fix this.
Tanking damage - Something I've never had access to is the actual speed that Fox is traveling (i.e. specific x,y,z coordinates of Fox's location). In certain sections where I have to move all the way to the side of the screen to avoid obstacles I don't actually know if it would be faster to just take a hit and fly through the obstacle or avoid it.
Because I don't have Fox's speed or location there is also one other potential optimization that has eluded me, and that's about moving to the side as quickly or as slowly as possible when necessary. There's a specific mechanic in this game that undeniably helped me with my maximum score runs which is the ability to tilt and/or barrel roll left or right. Doing so greatly increases your turning ability, but I don't know if it ultimately loses me forward momentum versus just moving as smoothly as possible. All I have to work with is what feels right.

nymx: Claiming for judging.
nymx: Replacing with correct movie file.
nymx: I can't sync this. Dropping.

nymx: Claiming for judging. Thank you arandomgameTASer for the sync verification.
nymx: Setting to "Delayed", pending some improvements by the author.
nymx: Replacing with improvement file that cuts 336 frames.
nymx: Despite all of the hardships of trying to figure this submission out, I have to say that I really enjoyed this venture. I'm also happy that I recently started making comparison videos, as the "Mission by Mission" video helped to identify more for WarHippy to cut. The originally submitted inputs were already good enough to carry this all the way to acceptance, but the only "problem" that appeared to be an issue, was the beginning of the last mission. I have to say, it appeared to be a big mistake, until I realized it was not so easy to get around (I looked up the technique and realized it was going to put you in peril to redo all that work). Thankfully, I don't count it as a ding. I myself have had this problem in the past with a particular submission, but was given grace.
As for the rework, excellent job and I'm glad to see that the Mission by Mission comparison helped.
Accepting to "Standard" for a "baseline" run.

r3gamerz: Processing...


Skilled player (1351)
Joined: 1/9/2011
Posts: 277
Well, I have some extremely bittersweet news. I’ve saved almost 5 seconds over the current submission up to Venom I, but I can’t skip the intro cutscene. In my verification movie I only ever entered and beat Venom through the hard route. Even though I get the medal and unlock expert mode it still never registers that the easy route was completed, so it forces me to watch the intro as if it were my first time playing the level. The only way to get around this is to update my verification movie and redo the entire run 😓. I’m not saying I won’t do it… but I need some time to contemplate this. If rng didn’t exist, then this wouldn’t be a problem at all.
Skilled player (1351)
Joined: 1/9/2011
Posts: 277
Alright, so I'm going to go ahead and continue with this submission. The updated run is now 336 frames faster! User file #639248575541445603 Katina - 70 frames faster with a more optimized bombing pattern for katina skip Sector Z - Lost 4 frames due to more lag Bolse - 247 frames faster. The enemy placement was much better after the shields dropped due to better rng, and the improved bombing pattern on Katina left me with an extra bomb to take out enemies faster. It's faster because it destroys enemies instantly instead of having to wait until they crash into the ground like killing them with lasers would do. Venom 1 - 23 frames faster due to more optimized movement near the end where the pillars start flying in from behind The intro cutscene to Venom 1 will just have to stay in as a 10 second time loss because I am not re-doing all the favorable rng found throughout the run. P.S. Here's the updated run with credits for encoding User file #639248576192312759 . I went ahead and changed the encode in the submission as well.
nymx
He/Him
Editor, Judge, Expert player (3475)
Location: Under the Weather
Joined: 11/14/2014
Posts: 1131
Location: Under the Weather
WarHippy wrote:
Alright, so I'm going to go ahead and continue with this submission. The updated run is now 336 frames faster! User file #639248575541445603 Katina - 70 frames faster with a more optimized bombing pattern for katina skip Sector Z - Lost 4 frames due to more lag Bolse - 247 frames faster. The enemy placement was much better after the shields dropped due to better rng, and the improved bombing pattern on Katina left me with an extra bomb to take out enemies faster. It's faster because it destroys enemies instantly instead of having to wait until they crash into the ground like killing them with lasers would do. Venom 1 - 23 frames faster due to more optimized movement near the end where the pillars start flying in from behind The intro cutscene to Venom 1 will just have to stay in as a 10 second time loss because I am not re-doing all the favorable rng found throughout the run. P.S. Here's the updated run with credits for encoding User file #639248576192312759 . I went ahead and changed the encode in the submission as well.
Thank you. I'll continue. I'm going to make another comparison video...so it might be a day or two.
I recently discovered that if you haven't reached a level of frustration with TASing any game, then you haven't done your due diligence. ---- SOYZA: Are you playing a game? NYMX: I'm not playing a game, I'm TASing. SOYZA: Oh...so its not a game...Its for real? ---- Anybody got a Quantum computer I can borrow for 20 minutes? Nevermind...eien's 64 core machine will do. :) ---- BOTing will be the end of all games. --NYMX
nymx
He/Him
Editor, Judge, Expert player (3475)
Location: Under the Weather
Joined: 11/14/2014
Posts: 1131
Location: Under the Weather
Here is the newest comparison video...only this is done against the original submission's inputs. Link to video
I recently discovered that if you haven't reached a level of frustration with TASing any game, then you haven't done your due diligence. ---- SOYZA: Are you playing a game? NYMX: I'm not playing a game, I'm TASing. SOYZA: Oh...so its not a game...Its for real? ---- Anybody got a Quantum computer I can borrow for 20 minutes? Nevermind...eien's 64 core machine will do. :) ---- BOTing will be the end of all games. --NYMX
nymx
He/Him
Editor, Judge, Expert player (3475)
Location: Under the Weather
Joined: 11/14/2014
Posts: 1131
Location: Under the Weather
I'm running into the same de-sync issue as before. Only this time, arandomgameTASer's sync instructions are no longer working.
I recently discovered that if you haven't reached a level of frustration with TASing any game, then you haven't done your due diligence. ---- SOYZA: Are you playing a game? NYMX: I'm not playing a game, I'm TASing. SOYZA: Oh...so its not a game...Its for real? ---- Anybody got a Quantum computer I can borrow for 20 minutes? Nevermind...eien's 64 core machine will do. :) ---- BOTing will be the end of all games. --NYMX
Skilled player (1351)
Joined: 1/9/2011
Posts: 277
Hmm, not too sure what to try, then, because those instructions are working perfectly for me. Are you sure you're far enough past the desync point before saving and reloading the file? I'm going all the way until shots are fired at the boss. I even re-downloaded the .bk2 I provided just to double check it.
nymx
He/Him
Editor, Judge, Expert player (3475)
Location: Under the Weather
Joined: 11/14/2014
Posts: 1131
Location: Under the Weather
WarHippy wrote:
Hmm, not too sure what to try, then, because those instructions are working perfectly for me. Are you sure you're far enough past the desync point before saving and reloading the file? I'm going all the way until shots are fired at the boss. I even re-downloaded the .bk2 I provided just to double check it.
I'm not sure what happened. I started from scratch today and I got past the Mission 1 Boss. You will be getting your finalized judgement today.
I recently discovered that if you haven't reached a level of frustration with TASing any game, then you haven't done your due diligence. ---- SOYZA: Are you playing a game? NYMX: I'm not playing a game, I'm TASing. SOYZA: Oh...so its not a game...Its for real? ---- Anybody got a Quantum computer I can borrow for 20 minutes? Nevermind...eien's 64 core machine will do. :) ---- BOTing will be the end of all games. --NYMX
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Moderator
Location: 127.0.0.1
Joined: 8/3/2004
Posts: 18083
Location: 127.0.0.1
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [7400] N64 Star Fox 64 by WarHippy in 21:32.73 (RTA)