Contrary to common belief, Super Mario Bros can be completed without pressing B at all, even without warping as well.
This is a sidestroller, speedwalk, or whatever you want to call it.
Thanks to mugg
and his marvelous idea
that fixed out the problem which have been puzzling people from completing this run for a long time.
Thanks to HappyLee
for helping me a lot on this movie, and using bullet glitch in walkathon movies so that I can save a lot of time in many stages such as 5-1.
Thanks to klmz
for finding vine glitch and it brings 294 frames' improvement than with out it.
Level By Level explanations:
- I choose to get the mushroom in this level. With its help I go into the ground and save 63 frames.
- Use vine glitch here, 84 frames saved.
- Use vine glitch here, 126 frames saved.
- Go into the ground with help of koopa and save 63 frames.
- Use the balance lift to go into ground and save 63 frames.
- I went into the pipe for shortcut, 61 frames saved. I'm puzzled why it's not 63 frames. And I slow down a little to avoid fireworks.
- I make some improvement here but I've not counted how many frames were saved.
Here I'll introduce how can I get through such a long distance:
By jumping backwards into any object Mario can move closer to the right side of the screen without scrolling..Mixing this with the turning around faster trick (pressing left/right one frame) can bring maximum distance so that the first gap will not disappear. As we all know, if you land on a shell that is flying in mid-air within the two rows of blocks at the bottom of the screen, a glitch will take place: The shell will be stopped from moving and will just behave as if it was on the ground. It will even walk through the floor if it is set up in a certain way. So we can place the shell into the gap and it will walk through the groud so that we can use it to get through here.
- Bullet glitch, 147 frames saved.
- Bullet glitch, 126 frames saved.
- Go into the ground and save 63 frames.
- I slow down a little before bowser, 21 frames slower here, for the bowser jumps too high if I don't slow down.
- Vine glitch, 84 frames saved.
- Bullet glitch, 147 frames saved.
- Bullet glitch, 168 frames saved.
- Bullet glitch, 189 frames saved.
- With HappyLee's help I get 1 frames faster than this movie by better walljumping in the first stage.
: This run was well played, and was quite entertaining. Excellent response. I'm accepting it. The only question is whether it should obsolete the existing run or not.
In general, for any warped vs. unwarped run, two branches make sense as there's usually significant differences between the two in items collected that modify how the levels are played out. People also want to know the fastest possible record, as well as the fastest record for doing everything.
This run includes everything the warped run has, leaving little for the warped run itself to show off. As to the first detail, the only significant item SMB offers in warped vs. unwarped is the fireflower. Since the fireflower cannot be used in a B-less run, the difference in items doesn't exist. As for the second, people to my knowledge have not been interested in any records for beating the game B-less. The only thing I've seen people wonder in terms of beating the game B-less is if it could be done at all or not. This run answers that question very well, and demonstrates every single level in the game can be beaten B-less. Therefore, I am accepting this as an obsoletion of the warped B-less run.