This is the NES port of the first M&M, the game that spawned a huge series of first-person RPGs and provided the universe for the Heroes spinoff series. In this run I use an item glitch to get the important items ASAP, skipping several go-get-the-key quests.
- Emulator used: BizHawk 2.7.0
- Abuses Programming Errors (Item Glitch)
- Aims for fastest time
- Manipulates Luck
Summary of updates
- Use drop item "Small Shield" instead of "Evil Flamberge" to get Golds more faster.
- Previous: "Leather Armor" -> "Padded Armor" -> "Evil Flamberge" (needs item glitch twice)
- Current: "Small Shield" -> "Bracers AC8" (needs item glitch only once)
- Reduce "Merchants Pass" x2 to x1
- Previous: "Merchants Pass" -> Glitched to "Kings Pass" -> Get "Merchants Pass" again -> Go to Alamar
- Current: "Merchants Pass" -> Go to Alamar -> Glitched to "Kings Pass"
- Optimize walking routes in several maps
- Optimize key inputs (x1.5 faster in best case)
- Perfectly message skipping by subframe input
Almost stage comments are same as movie #1418.
- Started a new game, named the main character, and took 4 members from the inn to fill player 1's inventory with clubs, help with fighting, and unlock stuff. I skipped character 2 because I only needed 5 chars total and I wanted the knight and robber close to the top of the list.
- Stepped on a monster tile and made sure it was sprites, because only they drop gems. They also are made to drop a "Small Shield" which I glitched into a pricey item "Bracers AC8". Without weapons equipped, only the main character and Sonja can strike enemies for damage.
- Paid the leprechaun a gem for travel to Dusk.
- Sold the pricey item, bought two Magic Oils (2 x 1000G), used one to give the other exactly 2 charges.
- Glitched the "Useless Item" (first oil) into an "Eye of Goros".
- Recharged the "Eys of Goros" twice, since I need at least 6 charges on it.
- 6 is enough but 7 or 8 is more better because I can avoid to message "USELESS!!" after using the item.
- Glitched the "Useless Item" (second oil) into a "Key Card".
- Bought a "Skill Potion" (600G), left town, and glitched it into a "Flying Carpet".
- Flew to C1, got the "Merchants pass".
- Flew to E3, got and gave the briefest password. The password is not valid until you hear it. DEEM is 17 frames faster than the next fastest possibility, SOUTH.
- Enter Castle Alamar and pass the first door (needs "Merchants Pass" at this point)
- Glitched "Merchants Pass" into "Kings Pass" and pass the 4th door (needs "Kings Pass" at this point)
- Confronted false Alamar. I needed the Passes to get through the doors.
- Gave the answer to the soul maze; the inner sanctum is now enterable.
- Completed the 5-part astral plane sequence with the help of the "Eye of Goros" and "Keycard". The place is full of invisible walls.
- Return to town Sopigal from Astral Plane. I have to leave town but the guard won't let me out for my own good since I'm still level 1. The fastest way out is to leprechaun to another town Erliquin and walk out from there.
- Encounter with enemy on purpose at B1. It's still faster to entered the gates for the end sequence.
: Claiming for judging.
: Replaced movie with a 9.5 second improvement.
: Forgot to cut two blank frames of input off the end, replaced the movie file again.
I've changed the branch to "item glitch" because this is meant to obsolete the Fastest Completion branch, not the No Major Skips branch. Some of the time saved is due to subframe inputs, which is something FCEU didn't have, but there are also some tangible routing improvements, so this is a nice improvement to that 15 year old movie. Accepting to obsolete the current publication