JXQ
Experienced Forum User, Experienced player (732)
Joined: 5/6/2005
Posts: 3132
NES TAS of 2008Speedy TAS of 2008SNES TASer of 2007TAS of 2007SNES TAS of 2007Funny TAS of 2007
With things like menus, the quickest way to press a button on the first frame is to alternate buttons using frame advance. For example, if both A and B will go to the next screen, then press only A on frame 1, only B on frame 2, only A on 3, only B on 4, etc... This way, every frame has a button being pressed that will go to the screen. You can't use the same button every frame, because to the game, that means you are holding the button, and some menus won't select right away if the button is held.
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
Experienced Forum User, Player (35)
Joined: 9/11/2004
Posts: 2592
Location: Atlanta, GA
However, be careful. Sometimes that many button presses can make the game lag.
Build a man a fire, warm him for a day, Set a man on fire, warm him for the rest of his life.
Emulator Coder, Experienced Forum User, Skilled player (1273)
Joined: 12/21/2004
Posts: 2687
Computer TASer of 2011TAS of 2011First edition TAS of 2011Computer TAS of 2011Sega TAS of 2010Sega TAS of 2008Sega TAS of 2007Glitchy TAS of 2007
OmnipotentEntity wrote:
However, be careful. Sometimes that many button presses can make the game lag.
Only if the game makes something happen for each button press and/or is programmed exceedingly poorly (I have never seen any console or handheld game lag from mere button presses). It can't hurt to check that it's not slower, though.
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 5/20/2005
Posts: 78
Location: switzerland
About the start menu , i have to change audio to stereo ... the reason is easy , if i watch a record with the all setup the emulator will freeze after 30~40sec. i don't know why but if i set this option the emulator will not crash later.
They say one should not speak unkindly of the dead, so I say Nice try! Tas planned. Dino city Secret of mana
Experienced Forum User, Player (35)
Joined: 9/11/2004
Posts: 2592
Location: Atlanta, GA
nitsuja wrote:
OmnipotentEntity wrote:
However, be careful. Sometimes that many button presses can make the game lag.
Only if the game makes something happen for each button press and/or is programmed exceedingly poorly (I have never seen any console or handheld game lag from mere button presses). It can't hurt to check that it's not slower, though.
Legend of Zelda: aLttP lags on too many button presses. I discovered this on my latest WIP. I began 4 frames slow than flag because of this.
Build a man a fire, warm him for a day, Set a man on fire, warm him for the rest of his life.
JXQ
Experienced Forum User, Experienced player (732)
Joined: 5/6/2005
Posts: 3132
NES TAS of 2008Speedy TAS of 2008SNES TASer of 2007TAS of 2007SNES TAS of 2007Funny TAS of 2007
Blackpearl wrote:
i have to change audio to stereo ... the reason is easy , if i watch a record with the all setup the emulator will freeze after 30~40sec.
It sounds like a sound card conflict/glitch on your end. I would have no idea how to fix it - which version of SNES9x are you using? If stereo sound is used well in this game, I wouldn't be opposed to changing it. However, I don't know if AVIs here are encoded with stereo sound or not.
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
Active player, Experienced Forum User (267)
Joined: 5/29/2004
Posts: 5712
OmnipotentEntity wrote:
nitsuja wrote:
OmnipotentEntity wrote:
However, be careful. Sometimes that many button presses can make the game lag.
Only if the game makes something happen for each button press and/or is programmed exceedingly poorly (I have never seen any console or handheld game lag from mere button presses). It can't hurt to check that it's not slower, though.
Legend of Zelda: aLttP lags on too many button presses. I discovered this on my latest WIP. I began 4 frames slow than flag because of this.
Oh, and I think I lost a few frames on Rockman World 4 by holding down buttons too long. So it's probably good to go for minimal button presses.
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 5/20/2005
Posts: 78
Location: switzerland
snes9xw-improvement7 for the version , and i don't understand why but is only with this emulator i got crash if game audio is set to mono (base from dkc2),
They say one should not speak unkindly of the dead, so I say Nice try! Tas planned. Dino city Secret of mana
Emulator Coder, Experienced Forum User, Skilled player (1273)
Joined: 12/21/2004
Posts: 2687
Computer TASer of 2011TAS of 2011First edition TAS of 2011Computer TAS of 2011Sega TAS of 2010Sega TAS of 2008Sega TAS of 2007Glitchy TAS of 2007
Blackpearl wrote:
i don't understand why but is only with this emulator i got crash if game audio is set to mono (base from dkc2),
It's probably crashing because you have "Sync samples with sound CPU" turned on. But switching to Stereo is a good idea anyway, I think this game does make use of it somewhat.
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 5/20/2005
Posts: 78
Location: switzerland
The first world is finished. Stage 1W1 - i found a way to avoid some lag about killing the last foe with rambi. Stage 2W1 - i found some shortcut. Stage 3W1 - I skipped enguard for save sometime Stage 4W1- Nothing here Stage 5W1 - I found a very usefull shortcut at rope part. Stage BW1 - nothing the boss is just pathetics.
They say one should not speak unkindly of the dead, so I say Nice try! Tas planned. Dino city Secret of mana
JXQ
Experienced Forum User, Experienced player (732)
Joined: 5/6/2005
Posts: 3132
NES TAS of 2008Speedy TAS of 2008SNES TASer of 2007TAS of 2007SNES TAS of 2007Funny TAS of 2007
Blackpearl wrote:
First of all i have watched many many time for complex anaylsis whith the roll>jump>roll>jump tech , yes ineed you gain more frame but... for the one who will watch the full run is can be quickly annoying to see the chars do this things every time. For me is important to have a good felling when i watch a run.
I understand that this could make the run feel smoother...to me, it depends on the level. In the first level it looked pretty smooth, I thought, but that's because there was a lot of enemies to hit, stuff to jump, etc. In a more flat level, it may not look as good. But you are the one doing the run, so of course it's up to you! Speaking of the run, is there any chance for a WIP?
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 7/29/2005
Posts: 459
Location: Brazil
yeah, post wips^^ dont let it roll back to the first stage when you are in the last XD
<small>My big signature was cleared by admin; i should read <a href="http://tasvideos.org/ForumRules.html">forum rules</a>. But... who does?</small>
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 11/29/2005
Posts: 317
Location: Sao Paulo - Brazil
Maybe I can do a 102% run.. But only after the any% is out, and someone got to teach me how to make an smv movie =D I play this game since I my 8 year birthday :o
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 7/29/2005
Posts: 459
Location: Brazil
SpiDeY wrote:
Maybe I can do a 102% run.. But only after the any% is out, and someone got to teach me how to make an smv movie =D I play this game since I my 8 year birthday :o
First of all, (if you dont have it) you should rather get snes9x improved by nitsuja, which is found here: http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=535&start=82 then load emulator > load rom > movie record ^^ But before this, _please_ check: http://tasvideos.org/Guidelines.html as well as anything here is important to know: http://tasvideos.org/FAQ.html#movie_making_ good luck and please post WIPs (work in progress) so we can analyse if there's any apparent mistake^^ ps.: and im sorry if you knew almost everything i posted here, since its your first time, i just want to make sure you know before making anything
<small>My big signature was cleared by admin; i should read <a href="http://tasvideos.org/ForumRules.html">forum rules</a>. But... who does?</small>
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 5/20/2005
Posts: 78
Location: switzerland
They say one should not speak unkindly of the dead, so I say Nice try! Tas planned. Dino city Secret of mana
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 8/20/2005
Posts: 643
Location: Mikkeli,Finland
Hmm. What rom you use?
Current Projects: ???
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 5/20/2005
Posts: 78
Location: switzerland
Donkey Kong Country 2 - Diddy's Kong Quest (U) (V1.1) [!]
They say one should not speak unkindly of the dead, so I say Nice try! Tas planned. Dino city Secret of mana
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 5/27/2005
Posts: 465
Location: Turku, Finland
shouldn't you be using V1.0?
Which run should I encode next? :)
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 11/29/2005
Posts: 317
Location: Sao Paulo - Brazil
daniayaw wrote:
First of all, (if you dont have it) you should rather get snes9x improved by nitsuja, which is found here: http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=535&start=82 then load emulator > load rom > movie record ^^ But before this, _please_ check: http://tasvideos.org/Guidelines.html as well as anything here is important to know: http://tasvideos.org/FAQ.html#movie_making_ good luck and please post WIPs (work in progress) so we can analyse if there's any apparent mistake^^ ps.: and im sorry if you knew almost everything i posted here, since its your first time, i just want to make sure you know before making anything
well thanks a lot man, you certainly helped me out. But I am going to wait for the any% movie first ^^
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 11/29/2005
Posts: 317
Location: Sao Paulo - Brazil
Blackpearl wrote:
So here. http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/372/dkrun.smv
Very nice.. I liked the 2nd and the 5th stages... Some things: - Why haven't you entered in the warp barrels on 2nd, 3rd and 4th stages (I only know in this stages..)? It is a warpless run? - Why didn't you get Enguarde in 4th stage? It isn't quicker with him? - Doesn't entering in some bonus is quicker than just normal run? I'm going to do a quicky one to show you this barrels..
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 5/20/2005
Posts: 78
Location: switzerland
- Why haven't you entered in the warp barrels on 2nd, 3rd and 4th stages (I only know in this stages..)? It is a warpless run? Yes is a warpless run :: all stage in two first world have warp portal - Why didn't you get Enguarde in 4th stage? It isn't quicker with him? Yes is quicker but i have to avoid a dumbass fish and lost so many time: - Doesn't entering in some bonus is quicker than just normal run? You talk about bonus room ? if is this i will avoid all exept one
They say one should not speak unkindly of the dead, so I say Nice try! Tas planned. Dino city Secret of mana
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 11/29/2005
Posts: 317
Location: Sao Paulo - Brazil
humm ok.. very nice! But if I'm not wrong, the 2nd world doesn't have warp barrels.. Keep doing this, it is very nice!
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 5/20/2005
Posts: 78
Location: switzerland
Yes im sure all first stage in two first world (gangplank and claudron) have warp portal. -- I have the first f'king bird at the end of stage 2W2.. But i realy like hiting the end stage mark with dixie head T_T
They say one should not speak unkindly of the dead, so I say Nice try! Tas planned. Dino city Secret of mana
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 6/25/2004
Posts: 607
Location: Maine
Maza wrote:
shouldn't you be using V1.0?
Maybe, maybe not. I believe when I was playing this game, I was having a glitch where I was unable to use any animal buddy. I believe that was 1.0, and it got fixed in 1.1 when I tried it for some reason. Or it could be the other way around. When I get home, I'll try this again, beceause I did know there was something screwy with one of the versions I downloaded of the game.
Active player, Experienced Forum User (458)
Joined: 5/12/2005
Posts: 693
NES TAS of 2020Glitchy TAS of 2020TAS of 2010NES TAS of 2010Glitchy TAS of 2010NES TAS of 2009
erm.. i don't know why you did some mistakes.. ? and are you sure what does Real "Tool Assisted Speedrunning" mean... When i watched this movie.. i thinked it's really good.. but when i watched it i didn't like it.. there was so much of mistakes so you must FIX all your mistakes and you must learn more about "Frame Advance" Your run must be near Perfection :)